Tristan McLeay, On 10/06/2008 14:43:
> On 10/06/08 19:33:27, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>> In a message dated 6/10/2008 02:53:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
>> [log in to unmask] writes:
>>

>>> Now, I assume that "chassis" is [S&sI] in the singular and [S&sIz]
>> in
>>> the plural. ... so, is thesis/theses are [s z] minimal pair, making
>> them
>>> [Ti:sIs] and [Ti:sIz] ? or are theses/chassis(pl.) not really
>> parallel
>>> for them?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tristan.
>>>
>> I say and hear [tS&si:] and [tS&si:z], which is different from
>> [Ti:sIs]/[Ti:si:z].
>> (I hope I got the symbols right.  I'm not used to using them.)
>
> But then you clearly don't speak (possibly conservative) RP. I know
> there exist dialects in which "parted" and "partied" are homophones. My
> question was directed solely at people who know anything about them.

I don't know exactly the answer to your question, but I do optionally realize weak /i/ as [I] in closed syllables, and for me the second vowel in _theses_ is strong /i:/, realized [i], rather than weak /i/, realized [I]. So _fleecies_, the plural of _fleecy_, is not a perfect rhyme for _theses_.

--And.