> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of steve rice

> > 98 & ME!!  Scary!
>
> If you'd care to fund upgrades for us, we'd probably be very
> grateful.

Maybe when I hit the Powerball jackpot.  Lightning's got to
strike somewhere.

> > I live in BFE and still have cable available.
> >
> I live in western Colorado, and there are various brands of
> high-speed Internet available, just not in my price range.

Well I figured a basic phone line is about $30 with tax and all
plus another $20 for a dialup account as opposed to the $65 I
pay for basic cable + internet (the package is cheaper than
internet alone).  Well worth the few extra bucks, especially
when downloading huge files like .ISO disk images.  A lot of
things I do that are work related become a lot easier too, like
being able to do things remotely from the comfort my home office
instead of commuting which burns up time and precious gasoline
($45/tank assuming I'm in the econobox, not the SUV).   Another
benefit of a high speed connection is not being tied to regular
television.  A lot of stations now have streaming video over the
internet so I have a big choice of stations from all over the
world that I can watch.  Great for listening to other languages!
The local stations here don't even offer SAP, something just
about every station back in L.A. has.

> > As for me I'm transitioning to Linux and the world of open
> > source software.  Amazingly, I'm finding freeware that's
> > just as good, and often better than most commercial
software.

> When I edit, I generally get a Word file and use Change
> Tracking and Comments. Even Open Office doesn't handle those
> very well, so I'm dubious about going to a different OS
> entirely. If I could, I would; I just don't think it would
> work that well.

I too have certain things I need Windless for, mainly
work-related things but I do have a company issued laptop I can
use for that stuff. I still haven't tested my most-used Windows
apps to see if they work well under WINE, but the couple I tried
seemed to do alright.   Another option is run something like
VMWare and have Linux and Windows running concurrently so I can
have the best of both worlds.  The hardest switch will be
getting away from Outlook since I have many years of e-mail
saved in PST files.