> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Risto Kupsala

> It doesn't make sense. If someone is not able to type in for
example a
> Cyrillic URL then he/she is probably unable to read the
contents too. So
> why for example the Russians should bother to type Latin URLs
with their
> Cyrillic keyboards. It would be derogatory. I don't know how
they are
> doing it now, though... And what about the standard endings
like .ru? Is
> there a Cyrillic variant for it?

.ru is a top-level domain (TLD) like .com, .org, etc...  The
two-letter country codes are used according to an ISO standard.
I'm not aware of any TLD's for non-ASCII encodings yet, but I
suspect it will happen.

Keyboards are all basically the same, except maybe for different
legends stamped on the keycaps, usually coexisting with the
Roman symbols.  It's the OS drivers that make them work with
different scripts or encodings.  I'd guess that Russians have
English and Russian drivers both loaded and switch between them
with a hotkey.  That's basically what I have set up for
switching scripts.