On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:24 AM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jens Wilkinson
>

> I don't know if "peace-bird" would be a good idea.  Ever seen Mars
> Attacks?  Okay, it's science fiction, but the idea of a dove being a
> symbol of peace is still culturally based.

I'm not sure how well known it is that way. Aren't doves sometimes used in
Olympic ceremonies? That would seem to imply that people are at least aware
of it. Just like the Greek flame. People don't necessarily know the deep
meaning, but at least they are aware it is a sacred symbol.

How about just calquing
> the scientific names into NP?

I hope you're joking. Scientific names could be taken as is, but I can't
imagine calquing them. Aren't most named after people or places? The name of
the genus for doves is columba, and apparently this comes from the Greek
word for "diver". So "diving bird" could be used, but I doubt that's as well
known as "peace bird". To me culturally, "diving bird" would refer to a
peregrine falcon.

--
Jens Wilkinson
Neo Patwa (patwa.pbwiki.com)