Matthew Barnett wrote:
 > The problem with Unicode URLs is that someone could make a 'fake'
 > website that looks like the 'real' one, even down to the URL, eg
 > http://www.microsoft.com vs http://www.miсrosoft.com. (The second URL is
 > Latin "mi", Cyrillic 'с', Latin "rosoft" instead of Latin "microsoft".)

Fortunately URL addresses can be controlled. But it can be a problem
elsewhere, such as in directory names, which probably won't be
cross-checked. I suppose one could setup Yahoo account named Auxlang
with a Cyrillic "а" (a) if Unicode was permitted by Yahoo.

I wonder why identical symbols from different alphabets were not merged
into one in Unicode. I guess they didn't foresee things like this.

--
Risto Kupsala