On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:45:40 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>> phonosemantics sounds interesting. does this mean that you invent a
>> phonosemantical system on your own from scratch or are there any sources
>> from other languages that you refer to?

>What I'm attempting is something based on known universals.  Unfortunately I haven't
found much on the subject

Ken Frisco, who wrote the article on onomatopoeia for Invented Languages magazine, has
lent me his copy of _The Sound-Symbolic System of Japanese_ by Shoko Hamano. I
highly recommend this book to anyone seeking info on phonosemantics in languages
other than English. It's fascinating. I don't have time to prepare a proper summary but for
example the author claims that

/t/ (as the second consonant in a CVCV mimetic adverb) appears in contexts where hitting
is involved... variations such as 'coming into close contact' and 'complete agreement'

/r/ indicates rolling...

/p/ or /b/ indicates 'breaking' 'submergence' or 'explosive event'

/w/ indicates 'softness' 'faintness' 'haziness'

and so forth for ideophones of all shapes and sizes.