Folks:

With the recent debate, both on and off-list, that has been generated by Ben Fordís post on the MUA we wanted to take a moment to informally state our own policy publicly.

The MUA was created to assist in the public dissemination of information that we believe all archaeologists should be held to, and that without that public outreach we risk being seen as no better than looters. To date we have posted over 200 pages of content from archaeologists working around the world including professionals, students, and avocational volunteers.  While not always perfectly carried out we believe the goal should be to preserve collections for future research. In support of those standards we require that all parties submitting postings to the MUA subscribe to the Ethical Principles of The Society for Historical Archaeology.

Best regards,

T Kurt Knoerl
Director
The Museum of Underwater Archaeology