> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Antonielly
Garcia Rodrigues

> > Back to the original subject: I've decided that the natural
language
> > that deserves the most support of the average
Euroclone-using IALer is
> > Spanish, for the following reasons:
> > -It's the only language that has enough clout to even come
close to
> > contending with English, and is also in a geographical area
that
> > encroaches on English as well;
>
> Moreover, Portuguese and Spanish, two languages that already
are major
> by themselves, are remarkably close to each other to the point
of very
> good mutual intelligibility. And the Portuguese+Spanish
macrolanguage
> has more native speakers than English! :)

There is a certain amount of mutual intelligibility between
Romance languages, especially closely related ones like Spanish
and Portuguese.  The combined populations are very large too.  I
really don't think any would make a really good auxlang.  I
wouldn't expect them to give English any competition either
though I do predict that Latin America will likely be the
slowest to absorb English.