> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jens
Wilkinson

> 	Moreover, Portuguese and Spanish, two languages that
already are major
> 	by themselves, are remarkably close to each other to the
point of very
> 	good mutual intelligibility. And the Portuguese+Spanish
macrolanguage
> 	has more native speakers than English! :)

> And as an added bonus, Spanish (and I think Portuguese also)
> has a lot of words loaned from Arabic, so it has a sort of
> "world" element that way. I think that if one were to base an
> IAL on a single language, Spanish would be a good choice,
> vocabulary-wise and phonologically. The major drawbacks, I
> think are the masculine/feminine nouns, the conjugation of
> verbs, and to a lesser extent the "tu" "usted" "vosotros"
> distinction for 2PS. Just a personal opinion, but I think the
> masculine/feminine distinction is the most problematic. I
> think the other two would be easy to "iron out" of the
> language. But Spanish nouns tend to end with either -o or -a
> depending on gender, so people might rebel at the idea of
> saying "un mesa".

There's a lexicon there that definitely should not be ignored
because if the Latin ancestry.  The Arabic influence tends to be
for words with a more specialized meaning but there are a few
common ones that we do know even in English like "cotton" ,
"alcohol" (< Arb "kuhul"), "algebra".  Notice that the article
finds its way into a lot of these loans.

I've been giving Spanish a lot of my attention lately which is
why I haven't been conlanging much.  The 2nd person is a big
mess because the uses are very dialectic with some areas not
using certain forms at all, while others use the famaliar-formal
distinction quite differently.

I have to admit I have less trouble with the genders than some
may expect.  The fact that feminines generally end in "-a" makes
it relatively easy since adjectives tend to follow the same
pattern.  Where it's a problem for me is in the 3rd person where
we "it" in English.  It's just difficult to stop and think about
whether I should use "el" or "ella".