--- On Sat, 7/12/08, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
> MacLeod Dave
> > > The exceptions are temporary.  Even long-term
> trends will
> have
> > > small swings in the other direction.
> >
> > How do you know? Once again I see nothing here besides
> faith
> that
> > it'll somehow work out this way.
>
> What you see happening linguistically is the laws of
> natural
> selection in action linguistically.  As the environment
> changes
> to favor a certain language, it will gain popularity.

But even by that argument, the less-popular languages aren't necessarily in competition. The Auxlang would be used for very general purposes; the local languages for very local purposes. You're ignoring the social factor.

> Certain
> locals languages may have some favor locally, but there is
> also
> an overriding trend toward globalization which is spreading
> English.  Therefore it is possible for English to grow
> along
> with certain local languages, but eventually there will
> come a
> time when the global language starts gaining favor over the
> local language.  It's really the same thing that has
> already
> happened during colonialization.  The indigenous languages
> of
> North America have been virtually wiped out.

The indigenous peoples didn't do that well either. Coincidence? There was also a tendency to discourage native languages. Will The Auxlang be quite so militant?

Steve