> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of steve rice

> > What you see happening linguistically is the laws of natural
> > selection in action linguistically.  As the environment
changes
> > to favor a certain language, it will gain popularity.
>
> But even by that argument, the less-popular languages aren't
> necessarily in competition. The Auxlang would be used for
> very general purposes; the local languages for very local
> purposes. You're ignoring the social factor.

Yes, the local language would be used among the locals, until a
monoglot Auxlang community develops.  These people will not know
the local language and use only the Auxlang for all situations,
causing an overall increase in Auxlang usage, which will lead to
more monoglots, which will lead to more Auxlang usage, and the
cycle will repeat until there little or nothing left of the
local language.

> > Certain
> > locals languages may have some favor locally, but there is
> > also
> > an overriding trend toward globalization which is spreading
> > English.  Therefore it is possible for English to grow
> > along
> > with certain local languages, but eventually there will
> > come a
> > time when the global language starts gaining favor over the
> > local language.  It's really the same thing that has
> > already
> > happened during colonialization.  The indigenous languages
> > of
> > North America have been virtually wiped out.
>
> The indigenous peoples didn't do that well either.
> Coincidence? There was also a tendency to discourage native
> languages. Will The Auxlang be quite so militant?

True they have been mostly wiped out culturally, but I expect
that a new global culture will also do the same to the regional
cultures we know today.