> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MacLeod Dave

> > No immediate dangers, but withing a few centuries they could
be
> > extinct or near extinction.  Those "countries" as we know
them
> > today could become little more than "administrative zones"
> > belonging to some future world government.  By this time,
people
> > are relatively free to travel and relocate to other parts of
the
> > world.  The global language being very important to daily
life
> > for these mixed populations, the local languages become
> > increasingly deprecated.  I'm sure the major languages you
> > mention will be the ones to survive for a long time, and
> > ultimately even contribute a lot to the the global variety
of
> > English.
>
> Once again, total conjecture. If this theory were correct
languages
> like Estonian, Lithuanian, Hebrew, Welsh, and all the rest
should be
> on death's door now. It's also based on the idea that there is
a kind
> of concrete barrier between languages, that people learn one
and then
> suddenly stop learning them. A situation in which _everybody_
knows a
> language and an IAL results in a much more language-friendly
world
> population, and I've shown the numbers where those who have
learned
> one language naturally start absorbing others.

I never said this would be a sudden change.  It would be
something that occurs over generations.  Also, the world is a
very different place now.  It's only been in recent years that
we've had fast and easy ways methods of communication available
to the masses.  This changes the whole picture greatly because
it makes the world "smaller" in terms of the ability to
communicate with others.  Twenty years ago the internet belonged
to only a small group of techno-geeks, long distance phone calls
were still relatively expensive, mobile phones and pagers were
yuppie status symbols, out of range.  The only real barrier left
is the language barrier.

> > Japan and Korea do have their *current* comfort zone.  The
> > English skills in these area may be weak, but over a long
period
> > of time, as they becoming increasingly bombarded with
> > English-language media and pop culture this will change.
>
> No, it's the opposite. Korea didn't have a comfort zone for
quite a
> while and it looked like they were going to make English the
official
> language for a while in the late 90s and early 21st century,
but
> _after_ absorbing more western influence, culture and
technology
> they've found a comfort zone where the average person doesn't
need
> English.

The average person of today probably doesn't, but the person of
tomorrow will be more likely to need it when we are all working
within a global economy where survival will mean communicating
with people in other nations.

> > Comfort or not, what happens when there's massive cross
> > migration of people?  We're already starting to see the
world's
> > major cities becoming small melting pots.  It's these
melting
> > pots that will have the greatest need for some type of
lingua
> > franca.  What's going to happen when Tokyo or Seoul become
> > flooded with immigrants from a variety of different places?
> > None of them speak Japanese, but all of them having picked
up
> > some English in school.
>
> The ones that live long enough pick up Japanese and Korean
because of
> the advantage it offers in everyday life. The ones that don't
> eventually leave because they don't like it.

The world is changing a lot.  What happens when Tokyo and Seoul
become  microcosms like so many other major cities?  Commerce is
now being conducted more and more on a global scale than it had
in the past.  We have American companies producing goods in
China, then selling them in Europe for example.  What languages
are these multinational corporations using internally, as oppose
to externally?  What about mass movements of populations across
borders?  There are just so many things now going on that are
forcing people to intermix like never before.