Kjell Rehnström wrote:
> <I'm courious: isn't your being a native English speaker the reason
> why you have been able to earn a living through Esperanto? >

Not particularly. I was owrking in the headquarters of Universala
Esperanto-Asocio (1972?-1975). I was running their mail-order book
service. This was an entirely behnid-the-scenes job, and any nationality
could have done it. My predecessor was from Norway.
> <I wonder if users of an IAL don't in principle behave like speakers
> of any national language, when it is in the process of becomming the
> language for a given country. This is a thing that one should be able
> to research. My hypothesis would be that speakers of a language that
> is going to be the tongue of a new nation will be very picky about
> correct grammar etc. Then, when the language is established, you will
> have a situation when they will begin caring for minority languages.
>
> Kjell R >
There are Esperantists - I'm not one of them - who would like to keep
the body of speakers fairly small, fearing that a large influx of new
speakers would lower the quality of the Esperanto being used and break
up the regularity and simplicity of the language. I reckon Esperanto can
stay small on its own without anyone trying to keep it that way. Getting
it bigger is the hard part.

Geoffrey King