If its not to late to comment...

An awful lot of "humanities" folk (not sure how many subjects you want
it to cover) really want databases, I'd say, not text-handling. We all
need to teach data analysis, whether it be of medieval texts or census
returns or coin collections, and I'd argue that the
experience gained, and the immediacy of the results, is a lot more use
than a term of XML. Representation of data by a tree structure in XML,
and querying it using XQuery, is jolly useful, but is it maybe a
slightly niche activity in the humanities as a whole?

I also wonder about teaching programming using Javascript? may sound
dirty, but its fun and immediate,
and has real uses.

Sebastian Rahtz