Amanda Gailey wrote:

> I focus on XML/TEI/XSLT because my classes are housed in the English
> Department, and these topics bring up questions that are fundamental
> to literary studies,

In which case, that's just fine to give text priority. I'd only
worry if your course was also offered to History, Philosophy,
and Classics students.

> More importantly, I think it's good
> for students to learn about the international community that
> contributes to TEI

thats an interesting idea; though I think other areas have
comparable groups; I know that archaeologists on this list,
for example, could cite some other nice communities

> Is there anyone on the list who teaches humanities computing in a
> humanities department other than English?

I used to teach it from a computer science department; but that was
24 years ago :-}

--
Sebastian Rahtz