This is a slightly different tact, but I'm also in the process
developing a humanities computing course. Instead of text processing, I
plan to focus on the use of computer graphics. The idea (at least right
now) is to have a cross-listed CS/History/American-Studies course in
computer modeling is taught within the framework of material culture (I
suspect archaeologists could find use for it too). Students will learn
how to hand-model, and use 3D scans to generate digital surrogates,
while keeping in mind the significance of the vernacular architecture of
the original.

My hope is that a final project would include a beautifully rendered
model of an object and a paper on the material culture. I know this is a
slightly different approach, but my feeling is that on a "big"
humanities project, the humanists won't necessarily be the one's doing
the programming. By giving students some exposure to working on a
non-trivial project, I think it also goes a long way in giving different
disciplines an appreciation for the complexity and nuances of what
others bring to the table.

Wayne

--
/**