The colour coding was introduced for the use of the TEI Council when
working through outstanding feature requests. It's documented in  a
council working paper available at
http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw15.html

The two-character chapter code groupings were used during the runup to
the first release of P5, but  are no longer of much relevance.