In message <[log in to unmask]> Bruce Robertson <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> So I can't find freestanding 'event' element, as listed in the
> documentation. In case that schema was out of date, I built a fresh one
> today from Roma, and grepping it led me to the same conclusion.

Coincidentally Dot Porter recently submitted a TEI Feature Request on the sourceforge site. See http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2046508&group_id=106328&atid=644065  So I'm sure that this ticket will benefit from any discussion of it here.

I think the original intention was that events tend to only happen in places (Battle of Waterloo), or to people (Marriage).  However, I think it entirely possible and reasonable to want to mark up a list of events by themselves.  Just as one might have a gazetteer of places, which is a use-case for the standalone listPlace element, a gazetteer or calendar of historical events seems equally reasonable on first glance to me.

I'll be interested to hear alternative views about why we shouldn't have such an element though.

Thanks,

-James