Eric Lease Morgan schreef:
> Moreover, what if some sort of tool, widget, or system were created
> that allowed anybody to add commentary to texts in the form of TEI
> mark-up. Do you think this would be feasible? Useful?

This is certainly interesting. It is something that many people have
experimented with, but I don't think there are at present really
satisfactory tools for doing something like this. One of the things
you'll have to decide on is whether to store your annotations in the
text, somewhere in the back of your document, or in external documents.
Another issue is how you want to present the text to be annotated to the
user: in raw XML, the user may have trouble orienting himself, so you
may want to apply a (css? xslt?) stylesheet (that should be sufficiently
generic to cover most of the annotated files). But this requires your
widget to interact with a browser or other application that knows how to
render xml using a stylesheet. Another question is whether potential
users will trust your system sufficiently to save their work
(annotations represent work) in the system.
Any experimentation in this area is useful, I believe.

Peter