If you want others to be able to write graffiti on a base text then you
need to add referencing hooks to it. If the base text is fluid (i.e. has
a variant textual tradition) then that adds another layer of complexity.
Perhaps a good starting point would be to mark up every word of an
authoritative base text with a <w id="someID"> element.

Once the referencing hooks are there then you can add stand off markup.
It would be a good thing to have a tool that does this: one person could
add graffiti and another could say "Show me all the comments on this
phrase by person XYZ". Actually, the tool could be responsible for
adding the hooks to the selected base text. Just thinking aloud.

Best,

Tim Finney