An introductory course on humanities computing based on a
non-declarative programming language -- takes me back to the early 80s,
when people over here were advocating that very thing. In those days the
language was Prolog, of course, but xslt sounds like a *much* better bet.

Sebastian's on holiday, but I'm sure he'd join me in wishing you good
luck and in pointing you at our own resources in this area... this
summer we followed up our usual 3 day course introducing XML and TEI
with a 2 day intensive XSLT course. The materials from both are all
available from  http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Oxford/