Eric,

currently, a relatively big EU-funded research project attempts to
accomplish something for philosophy corpora that sounds close to what you
have in mind: the Discovery project (http://www.discovery-project.eu/).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where they stand right now, neither do I know
anything about the technical details of their implementation. I'm not sure
if they strictly use TEI markup proper, or if the annotation layers are
stand-offish, but with WAB Bergen as a member institution, I would expect
them to do things in a spirit at least close to the TEI.

Best wishes,

Markus Flatscher

--
The Collected Works of Ferdinand Ebner
(The Brenner Archives/Austrian Science Fund #P18428)