Dear Viv (cc TEI-L),

Thank you for your response. One of my concerns has been precisely how to keep the metadata associated with the image, since although I can link them easily enough on my own site (by, for example, embedding both metadata and image in a wrapper page), someone can easily copy just the image file and lose the metadata in the process. Embedding the metadata into the image file itself would ensure their integrity. I understand that digital cameras often associate EXIF metadata with the image automatically, although I don't know how reliably that is preserved when one converts an image from the camera's native format to something else. I hadn't known about XMP until I read your posting, and I immediately followed up on the Adobe site, but it sounds as if (as you note) XMP is currently somewhat difficult to use because of lack of tools. I wonder also whether this means that XMP is not sufficiently recognized as best practice for it to be a good choice for embedded metadata. Are there alternatives that might have a better chance of being supported/recognized across applications? Is the idea of embedding metadata too new for best practices to have emerged?

Sincerely,

David