David,

The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose
from! Here are some best practices developed by the Digital Library
Federation, "Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs
and Serials":

http://www.diglib.org/standards/bmarkfin.htm

NISO has a document describing a range of image metadata:

http://tinyurl.com/5mogl8

(We only use a subset of the metadata fields described in this
document.)

In case you want more, the National Library of Australia has a nice long
list of Policies, Strategies, and Guidelines:

http://www.nla.gov.au/padi/format/policy.html

Happy reading!

Perry Willett
Head, Digital Library Production Service
300 Hatcher North
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205
Ph: 734-764-8074
Fax: 734-647-6897
Email: [log in to unmask]

> > Dear TEI-L,
> >

> > I am organizing a small image-based project, involving the digital
> > publication of a Russian festal icon with commentary. The icon
> > contains 27 small images of church events (Annunciation, Nativity,
> > etc.), arranged on the board much like a comic strip (an example of
> > this type of icon is available at
> > http://www.dormitionskete.org/DsWebStore/images/DsProducts/MS-FD-
> Cretan_org.gif). I would like the electronic edition to include
> photographs of the icon as a whole and of each of the small images,
> with textual information attached at both levels.
> >

> > I don't have much experience with descriptive metadata for image
> > files, or, for that matter, with image resources in general, and I'd
> > be grateful for any information anyone might provide about 1) image
> > formats (I envision something high quality for archival purposes and
> > lower-resolution for web delivery--but I don't know what
resolutions,
> > color depths, file formats, etc. are consistent with what
> > professionals regard as best practice) and 2) descriptive metadata
> > (whether art historical, photographic, or other--again, in a way
that
> > is consistent with professional best practice). I'd also welcome
> > pointers to similar projects others might have developed, exposure
> > which might broaden my understanding of what's possible and what's
> > desirable.
> >

> > The TEI guidelines don't seem to deal with this type of project
> > explicitly, which is reasonable, since it is not fundamentally a
> "text
> > encoding" activity. Nonetheless, I suspect that many readers of
TEI-L