Hi Amanda et al.,

We have a similar (XML, TEI, XSLT) course at the Swedish School of
Library and Information Science (SSLIS) in Boras, Sweden. More
specifically, we've been offering a master level distance course on
humanities computing and digitization of cultural heritage material
since 2004. It's been on 15 or 30 ECTS.
The course is mainly technical-practical, but several critical issues
are taught as well. Basically, the students are taught the whole
digitization chain from text/image capture, editing/management to
output/publishing, along with a critical report on the work they have
done. In the spirit of the "one input --> many outputs" concept, the
students manage tiff-to-jpeg conversions, rich metadata, and are
required to encode the full texts in rich TEI and use XSLT to transform
that markup to various output formats (e.g. XHTML) and levels (such as
diplomatic versus modernized transcription display). We cooperate with
e.g. the Royal Library in Sweden who provide our students with unique
source material (such as 19th letters and other manuscripts) to
digitize, but students also bring source material from their respective
home institutions.

As expected, we have also discussed the issue of manual TEI encoding
versus a database approach. As our course has a specific focus on
small-scale projects that digitize literary texts and rare manuscripts
and make them fully searchable, we decided to emphasize encoding rather
than the database approach. Had we designed the course with a focus
rather on mass digitization (on more or less an industrial scale), the
emphasis would have been reversed.

Yours / Mats Dahlström

Mats Dahlström, associate professor
Swedish School of Library and Information Science
UC Borås / University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Mats dot Dahlstrom at hb dot se ; +46 33 435 44 21 ;
http://www.adm.hb.se/~mad/

>>> Amanda Gailey <[log in to unmask]> den 24 augusti 2008 22:36

Is there anyone on the list who teaches humanities computing in a
humanities department other than English?  I'd be interested to hear
their approaches.