Dear David,

any information anyone might provide about 1) image formats

As Martin mentioned, huge TIFF are usually what people do.
However after reading a well-researched piece on JPEG2000 I am considering
changing to this format for some tasks. It certainly would save a lot of
space.
The article is at:
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july08/buonora/07buonora.html

> 2) descriptive metadata (whether art historical, photographic, or
> other--again, in a way that is consistent with professional best practice).

So far we have only experimented with  MIX (
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mix/) which is a rather technical Niso
standard. It encodes all things about the image file someone might want to
know but does not provide fields for the description of the content. There
are other minor problems with it, but it is relatively new and there is
still space to grow.
In order to package everything neatly together it seems we have to use METS
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/). We haven't implemented it yet, but it
is high on my agenda for this autumn, since we have accumulated a lot of
scans of woodblock prints, and want to combine them with full-text and
translations TEI files.
It allows to combine pointers to your various image files, TEI description
and MIX techdata into one intelligible whole. The idea is to package various
digital objects together to give digital librarians a handle. Last time I
looked METS files can include complete TEI headers and MIX files. In that
case it will be difficult to validate the package completely, but with NVDL
even that might be possible now. And using already existing metadata chunks
makes good sense.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used METS to archive
projects which involved a TEI text.

all the best

marcus

--