Dear list members,

I have recently started to digitize a large corpus of Flemish theatre
reviews from the interbellum period using TEI Lite. Apart from the
usual beginner’s troubles, there is one problem I do not find easy to
translate into TEI.

My reviews stem from a variety of sources, which I can faithfully
document using the @sourceDesc tag. Every review is translated to a
separate XML file, even if it comes from a larger collection, such as
a compilation of reviews. But every file actually needs to include
more metadata about the review, namely, the performance it is about,
the company that played it, the author who wrote it, the date it
played, etc.

I cannot include these data in @sourceDesc, since the date of the
performance, for example, is not always the same as the publication
date.

Provisionally, I am using the @profileDesc tag, more specifically
@creation, for these metadata. The Guidelines read:
>> The creation element contains phrases describing the origin of the
>> text, e.g. the date and place of its composition.

Taken in a largish sense, this seems to include the ‘occasion’ for
writing the text, e.g., the theatrical performance itself. But as Ron
Van den Branden from CTB (who has greatly helped me learning TEI)
remarked, it does look like an improper use of @creation, since the
performance is only tangently related to the actual writing.

Other candidates for proper tags have proven problematical: @keywords
and @textClass demand a strict taxonomy (so @date would be impossible
to include), while @notesStmt seems too generic.

All help would be greatly appreciated. I’m including one of my TEI
headers at the bottom of this mail for further reference.

Dr. Thomas Crombez

Theatre Studies
University of Antwerp | Stadscampus D 216 | Prinsstraat 13
B-2000 Antwerp | Belgium

t +32 (0)3 220 49 57
http://www.zombrec.be

<teiHeader>
     <fileDesc>
       <titleStmt>
           <title>A machine readable transcription of Willem Putman,
Jean-Jacques Bernard : "L'invitation au voyage", door het "Studio des
Champs Elysées". </title>
           <author><persName key="cti_names.xml#WP">Willem Putman</
persName></author>
           <sponsor>Universiteit Antwerpen</sponsor>
           <sponsor>Fonds voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek-Vlaanderen</
sponsor>
       </titleStmt>
       <publicationStmt>
2008</p>
       </publicationStmt>
       <notesStmt>
		<note type="abstract"></note>
       </notesStmt>
       <sourceDesc>
         <bibl>
             <author><persName key="cti_names.xml#WP">Willem Putman></
persName></author>
             <title level="m">Tooneel-groei (1921-1926): Indrukken
over het na-oorlogsch tooneel-herleven in ons land</title>
             <title level="a">Jean-Jacques Bernard : "L'invitation au
voyage", door het "Studio des Champs ElysŽes".</title>
             <publisher>Excelsior</publisher>
             <pubPlace>Brugge</pubPlace>
             <date>1927</date>
             <biblScope>pp. 220-238</biblScope>
         </bibl>
       </sourceDesc>
     </fileDesc>
     <encodingDesc>
       <projectDesc>
andere korte teksten over theater uit de periode 1919-1939</p>
       </projectDesc>
       <editorialDecl>
line endings, removed all references to pagination (removed page
numbers; recombined paragraphs split on multiple pages)</p>
       </editorialDecl>
     </encodingDesc>
     <profileDesc>
       <creation>
		<date when="1925-05-25"></date>
         <orgName key="cti_names.xml#SdCE">Studio des Champs Elysées</
orgName>
         <placeName></placeName>
         <title type="drama.performance">L'invitation au voyage</title>
         <persName type="author.dramatist"
key="cti_names.xml#JJB">Jean-Jacques Bernard</persName>
         </creation>
     </profileDesc>
     <revisionDesc>
       <change who="[ID]" when="1111-11-11"></change>
     </revisionDesc>
   </teiHeader>