Dear TEI-L,

I am currently preparing a New Course Proposal (for approval by my university's Undergraduate Curriculum Committee) for a semester-long (fourteen-week) course on Computer Programming in the Humanities. The course is intended to satisfy a general-education requirement in "formal and quantitative reasoning" (which can be met at my university by an introductory programming course) and is targeted at undergraduate humanities majors who typically will have no prior experience in computer programming. My two sets of goals for the course are 1) an introduction to computer programming for the humanities in general (why should humanities scholars write programs and what can those programs do) and 2) hands-on training in processing texts on the computer for humanities research. Students will complete small programming assignments, and will also design and implement individual larger projects, tailored to their specific humanities interests, which they will develop over the course of the semester. The first time I offer this course I plan to base it on XML-related technologies (using XSLT as the principal programming language), including TEI (of course!), although I may change the specific programming orientation in the future (for example, to use a more general-purpose programming language).

I would be grateful if those who have developed or taught a course of this type would be willing to share syllabi and any advice they may have.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

David

David J. Birnbaum

Professor and Chair

Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures University of Pittsburgh