2008/8/13 John Vertical <[log in to unmask]>:
> And while I'm on the topic, are there postalveolar *non*-sibilants? An alveolar
> [T_-] seems to be possible, but not anything further back until we get to
> dorsal consonants. That's odd.

Danish happens to have [D_-], but whether it's alveolar or post- I'll
let others decide. On an earlier occasion when this was discussed,
someone mentioned a North American native language that also has the
sound -- Soshoni, I think.

The Danish sound is usually transcribed /D/, since it's voiced and
there are no other non-labial non-sibilant fricatives to contrast
with.
--
Lars