Eugene Oh wrote:
>Indeed, many German learners around me are unable to get <ich> pronounced
>correctly, and end up sounding like they're saying "isch". Which
>pronunciation they probably adopted to ease the transition between being
>unable to pronounce the sound and doing it like the natives.

Not to start YAGPT... but it's been my imperfect understanding that [IS] for
"ich" is typical of Berlin accent (or is it Vienna???)  (I have an old LP of
Lotte Lenya singing songs of Brecht/Weill, and I'm pretty sure she says
[IS], of course, it might be the quality of the recording........)  Still,
it doesn't excuse learners' mishearings/mistakes :-))))