On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:04:27 -0400, Alex Fink wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:03:48 +0200, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote:
>
>>In fact the pronunciation ['awa] for _agua_ is very widespread in
>>Spanish,
>
>But many Spanishes have [M\] for weak /g/ (where some others have [G]), and
>[M\w] > [w] is if anything even a more natural change.  I don't have the
>impression there's anything especially disfavoured about [Gw], though I
>can't think of a good example offhand.

Hmm… there are several Athabaskan languages that distinguish /w G_w/
(presumably inherited from PA) — but also several that don't. Does "several
demonstrated instances of stability" suffice, or do you want "in *most*
cases stable over long time-periods"?

>>I use the possible non-humanity of the Sohlosjan as an excuse for the
>>typologically odd vowel height harmony, although I know of at least
>>one human language which had vowel height harmony, namely Middle
>>Korean.

Try also Kusunda:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusunda_language#Phonology

John Vertical