> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of steve rice

> > I've been doing a bit of work on Ingli lately.  One thing I've
done
> > is make a chart of "initials" and> "finals" for monosyllables in
> > English.  Already I show about 200 finals and 50 initials,
though
> > most are not in use, phonotactically most still work.
>
> I could dig out my copy of Glan-ik, which was organized
> according to permissible initials and finals. It was rather
> ingenious in some ways. He cut a few corners, for example
> disallowing -rld as a final because it only occurs in "world"
> (which therefore becomes "wurl," as I recall).

Actually, I think have some of the Glan-ik materials on my hard
drive somewhere.

I haven't gotten far enough to count /-@rld/ yet.  It's definitely
not a combination that will end up in Ingli, unless I strech it into
two syllables like "wereld" or something like that.  I do intend
Ingli to have a much friendlier phonotactical system than English.
I'm not sure what final clusters will be allowed, or if they will be
allowed at all.  There are a few that have already been eliminated
like the suffix "-ment" becoming "-men".

What I have now are initials in the form CCG, and finals in the form
VCCC (V can also be a diphthong). It's mainly something I'm working
out because I want to see how the merging of certain phonemes will
work out.  Reducing English to just five vowels creates quite a few
homophones, as does the loss of final rhotics and the merger of /T/
and /D/ into /t/ and /d/.  I've considered keeping some final
rhotics, figuring that some speakers could just lengthen the vowel
instead.

I'm finally starting to get a few things documented but nothing's
carved in stone yet.

	http://conlang.dana.nutter.net/index.php/Ingli