Chris Peters wrote:

>On a related note, all of my conlang projects have proceeded from a sort of
>background assumption that the language is spoken by a people on one of
>Ursula LeGuin's Hainish planets.  For those unfamiliar, her Hainish
>universe has Earth, and a number of other planets in the local area of the
>galaxy, colonized by a founding race called the Hainish.  LeGuin even
>coined the word "Ekumen", which seems to mean something like "diaspora":
>the human (Hainish) diaspora around the galaxy.

Ha! That's also the underlying premise of Planet Cindu, with its Kash and
Gwr people.  Whoever the aliens were who contacted them a few hundred years
ago, the Hainish were among them :-)))  I don't use "Ekumen", but "Galactic
Union/Unity".   The Kash believe, though there is VERY fragmentary evidence,
that intelligent life was "seeded" on Cindu, along with some genetic
tinkering, perhaps a million years ago, possibly by renegade or mad
scientists from Hain or who knows where.  The present day Hainish deny any
knowledge of such an enterprise........