> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:54:49 -0400> From: Jim Henry> > To make that halfway plausible, you would have to posit that the aliens> terraformed themselves to be able to live in Earth gravity, atmosphere,> etc., digest nutrients found in Earth plants and animals, etc; borrowing> a heap of DNA from the smartest animals they could find, improving> on it and making sure the resulting brains had enough room for their> minds.>

On a related note, all of my conlang projects have proceeded from a sort of background assumption that the language is spoken by a people on one of Ursula LeGuin's Hainish planets.  For those unfamiliar, her Hainish universe has Earth, and a number of other planets in the local area of the galaxy, colonized by a founding race called the Hainish.  LeGuin even coined the word "Ekumen", which seems to mean something like "diaspora":  the human (Hainish) diaspora around the galaxy.

At least that was the founding "justification" behind my ongoing "Ricadh" project.

:Chris