--- On Mon, 10/20/08, Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Steve Rice wrote:
>  > For those unfamiliar with IG, imagine a form of Basic
> English NOT
> based on
>  > English as such--not a "simplified" English
> but grammatically
> autonomous. All
>  > verb constructions are reduced to phrasal verbs using
> (IIRC) about 18
> verboids.
>  > These phrasal verbs are very systematic and
> predictable, not idiomatic.
>
> Could you list the verboids? I can't find them listed
> anywhere on the
> net. Are they the same as the 21 verbs of Frater 2 as
> listed here
> http://www.panix.com/~bartlett/frater2.html#verbs ?

I'll provide a brief yet reasonably accurate explanation. However, since this is one of the fundamental devices of IG grammar, it's hard to summarize well. If you have questions, just ask.

Sensory:
acouste/audie (an example of synonyms): hear
vise: see
Used with amplifiers representing sounds/sights and phenomena that produce them.
Mi audie canto. I hear singing.
Mi audie fissuro u rhabdi. I hear crack the stick. (I hear the stick crack.)
Mi vise photo. I see (a) light.

Movement:
balle: send, throw, emit
kine: go, move [intr]
mote: put, place
Used with amplifiers expressing location or path.
balle X apo--send Y away, discard Y
balle X peri--throw Y around, scatter Y
balle u feci [ex auto]--send feces [from oneself], defecate
kine a-supero--go up, ascend, climb
kine in aero--go in air, fly
mote X a-supero--put X up (literally)

State/Change of state:
eque: be (only between nouns, never with qualities)
habe: have; exhibit (a quality)

Re eque u bibli. It is a/the book.
Mi habe u bibli. I have a book.
Re habe cyano. It is blue.

date: give, make (confer property on)
gene: obtain, become (property)
perde: lose (lit & fig)
tene: keep (lit & fig)
tracte [apo]: take [from], make - cease being -

date thermo X--heat X
gene thermo--heat up [intr]
perde thermo--cool off [intr]
tene thermo--keep warm, remain warm [intr]
tracte thermo apo X--cool X off

Mi date u bibli ad an. I give a book to him.
Mi gene u bibli ex an. I get a book from him.
Mi perde u bibli. I lose a book.
Mi tene u bibli. I keep/retain a book.
Mi tracte bibli apo an. I take a book from him.

Cause/effect:
stimule: cause, stimulate, provoke
reacte: respond, react, obey, be sensitive to [heat, cold, etc.]

stimule questio Y--make Y curious
reacte questio Y--respond to Y's question

Miscellaneous:
acte: do, perform, act [on]; exhibit physical action
acte fissuro--crack [intr]
stimule fissuro X--crack X
acte amico X--befriend X
(The difference is between a physical phenomenon, where acte is always intransitive, and anything else, where it may be transitive)

acte per X de Y--act on Y with/using an X
acte per cteni de tricha--act by comb on hair, comb one's hair

detecte: detect, find, notice
detecte fissuro X--find a crack in X
detecte metro X--measure X (find its size)
detecte sequo X--deduce/conclude from X
detecte comico X--see the joke in X (not quite the same thing as reacte comico X)

dicte: say, express, communicate
dicte impero X de Y--command X to [do] Y
dicte protesto X de Y--protest against Y to X
dicte magico--recite a spell
dicte miro--express surprise

facte: make, build
facte picto--portray, make a picture
facte u domi--build, construct

The reason Hogben called them "verboids" was to make clear that they do not always function as verbs. Thus, "dicte" can mean "communication" when it's in a noun slot.

Steve