On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Noelle Morris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Or perhaps it's because women are more likely to be judged for their
> appearance than men are. Just sayin'.

That, too.

> Incidentally, I've never seen the term "brunet" (the masculine of
> "brunette"?). That's a new one to me. I can't even imagine how it would
> pronounced in English (probably not the way such a word would be pronounced
> in French, non? I also can't recall seeing "brunet" in French class, but
> then again, that was quite awhile ago).

AFAIK there's no pronunciation distinction in English, just as with
"blond(e)"; both forms of "brunet(te)" are pronounced roughly
/bru'nEt/  (something like [br\u'nE?] for me).  Although it may be
that at one time the masculine was /bru'nej/ or similar.  The written
distinction is well on its way out, in any case.  Probably further
along toward the exit than "blond(e)".

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>