--- On Tue, 10/28/08, Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The bad side is that people will feel terribly incompetent
> before they
> master it. There are people who know some languages but
> they don't use
> them because they feel that they don't know enough! I
> think that could be
> the core of the issue of "eternaj komencantoj"
> that plagues Esperanto.
> People learn about Esperanto, they get excited about it and
> begin learning
> it, but the excitement fades away before they manage to
> learn enough to
> actually use (or dare to use!) the language.

I'm reminded of the brief verse by Barnet Woolf quoted in Interglossa:

Czech or Chinese
Learn it with ease.
Basque or Bantu
Can too.

I still say, based on evidence from "natural" languages, that there will always be people who will find any given language too difficult. There are people on this list who would probably be unable to learn and use Neo Patwa, for example, because they would find it too formless to grasp it.

So it's a fool's errand to seek after the Perfect Language or to expect everyone to find one language particularly easy. That's also why the "One Language for the World" business can never prove out in a free market. Instead, if people follow what works for them, we will see a handful of languages, mostly artificial, in international use once the prejudice against artificial languages lifts.

Steve