On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Cheng-Zhong Su skrev:

I have tried to find some study on recorder phonogram or other instruments.
Yet I can found few of them. I think linguists have spent too much time on
thinking with them self and too less with an instrument. The linguistic
study has always been regard as collect pieces of language for different
groups and explained by everybody according his will. That is the result of
so many years no one think it is a solid or substantial knowledge. And now
the linguists still insist their way of explanation.
I think once you familiar with the explanation of physic sounds, both you
and me will accept whatever can improve our oral communication.

It is strange that you haven't found so much - when I took the course in general phonetics at Stockholm University in 1966 we already had had sound charts (audiograms) for quite a few years. Phoneticioans have used X-rays to check out how tha larynx and pharynx work when a person is producing a certain sound. I worked together with a guy who took a doctoral degree in Tibetan phonetics. He had had a test person - a Tibetan informant - who had pronounced and recited certain texts. I recall he told me that there were voiceless nasals, like n's! and at first my collegue had heard f-souunds.

I mean to say that as far as I know they have used a lot of instruments in applied phonetics. And also think about the work in syntesizing speech, then you have to know how to program rises and falls in tone, stress etc. So ar for syntesized Chinese speech, just quoting an example, it should be possible for you to find quite a lot of material, if the competent bodies let you get your hands on it.

Kjell R
Either using X-ray or using recorder, it seemed the same thing that you are expressing the phenomenon of what happened in speech. You may describe them much more clearly in detail. But I prefer using what you have described to make benefit of people.
Can you tell me, what is the final target of your study? Is it merely stating what you have felt or sensed?
As for the sound of 'f' I know any body can hear it, if only company by a short vowel ә.
I don't know the language of Tibet, but recently I am thinking to use another unit of short-syllable to replace the 'sound'. I think this unit could be adopted by any spoken language. The target of this unit is no other than give every piece of speech a correct and certain time in order to help use to calculate them.

Cheng-Zhong Su