The usual practice for the tagging of place names in a transcribed text
is (in our project and, I believe, in TEI P5), to tag the instance of
the name or naming-string in the text with <placeName>, and use an @key
or @ref to point to an entry in a gazeteer made up of <place> elements.
So far so good. What do you do, however, if the string in your text that
you want to link to a <place> in your gazeteer is not a place-name per
se? Would it be abuse to use <placeName> in this case? I have assumed
not, but it has recently been suggested to me that something like:

<placeName ref="#London">his home</placeName>
or
<placeName ref="#Rome">the metropolis</placeName>
or
<placeName ref="#Aphrodisias">the city</placeName>
or (for persons)
<persName ref="#Xanthippe">his wife</persName>
or
<persName ref="#anon-wife-of-Diogenes">uxor eius</persName>

would be abuse. To me tagging like this makes sense, and in the absence
of an alternative tag to 'placeName' I'll continue doing it. But does
anyone strenuously object, or have an alternative suggestion?

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London