I think this message was lost in the rush of the TEI MM. (Either that or
it is genuinely uninteresting to everyone.)

Let me state my options in the simplest possible terms:

(1) I assume (as I have been up to now) that a name is not a word, and
put in a feature request to add att.segLike attributes to name and
related elements;

(2) I tag all segmented or incomplete names additionally with a <seg>
element. I don't much like it, but I can do.