John Tone Young a écrit :
> Gabby,
>
> I share Lou's unease about this distinction between "name" and "word"
> as mutually exclusive categories.  There was a 17th-century German
> intelligencer called Johannes Brun who, however, was almost always
> referred to by his pseudonym 'Unmuessig', which means something
> like 'diligent' or 'never idle'.  So it was at once the man's name and
> a description of him - a proper noun, but also an adjective.  I'm sure
> listers could come up with countless similar examples.

I don't see that this is an objection to making a distinction between
words and names in general, but merely a statement that some terms will
blur that boundary, which is only to be expected. Some terms you might
want to index as both names and words: nicknames (as your example);
names that are also dictionary words that can be used as puns or
"meaningful names"; rolenames; Latin cognomina. This doesn't change the
fact that "apple" is a word and "John" is a name, just because I happen
to know someone called Mick Apple or might talk about "going to the john".

In a name such as:

<persName>
    <roleName>Captain</roleName>
    <foreName>Jack</foreName>
    <surname>Sparrow</surname>
</persName>

all of those xxNames would also be found in a dictionary, but the only
one that it would make any sense to look up or index in this context
would be the role-name. (Which I would probably tag as a <w> additionally.)

In any case, we have a tag for <name>, and various specializations of
this such as persName, foreName, surname, roleName, etc. Are you
suggesting we should stop using all these and just use <w>? After all,
if names are really words, then all we need is <w> and <personRef>
(which would tag names that are not names too).

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London