I agree that ships are not that idiosyncratic in historical projects.

At the Online Froissart Project we use 8 different types for name and rs:

‘person’, ‘place’, ‘event’ (the battle of Crécy), ‘family’ (the Plantagenets),
‘institution’ (Notre Dame of Paris), ‘people’ (the Scots), ship, ‘collective’
(the barons of England).

See our draft document http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~gcroenen/Guidelines.pdf, p. 23ff.

Godfried