Ahoi Gabby,

 > 1) What sorts of implementations have you or projects you know about
 > developed to make use of the metrical data encoded in your TEI texts?
 > Can you perform metrical searching? Perform stress-aware text-to-speech?
 > Etc.? What do you use your tagged metre for?

For german verse text please visit our homepage www.lyrik-und-lied.de or
click directly to the following link to see an example:

<http://www.lyrik-und-lied.de/ll.pl?kat=typ.show.poem.eb&&ds=372&id=608&add=form&start=0>

You can switch between all expressions and the metrical markup.

You can also search for meters and rhymes. Please preselect
"Metrisierung" and use the terminology from the example (x=stressed
syllable, u=unstressed syllable) after clicking this:

<http://www.lyrik-und-lied.de/ll.pl?kat=search.form&sf=0>

 > 2) Has anyone developed a tool or a script to interpret verse texts and
 > automagically tag the metre (with any degree of probability)? I expect
 > this would be relatively easy for Ancient Greek, a lot harder for
 > English. Does anyone have experience with work of this kind?

I do for german verse text. The results are quite good (98,5% well
detected syllables), and are getting to 100% in texts without foreign
words.

There is no "program" which I could send you yet, but if you have access
to the Word Perfect office I can give you an instruction and a set of
macros. Some clicks and copy & paste actions will be necessary to get a
result. Otherwhise you have to wait some months, we will publish an
online version here:

<http://www.poetron-zone.de/>

An offline version of the so called "metricalizer" is released, but it
is only able to detect stable meters (like +--+--+--/+--+--+ but not
-+--+-+--/+-+--+)

But believe Pablo Gervás (who did something eqal for spanish verse
text). He wrote me half a year ago: "I always thought German would be
possible (English, in contrast is probably much more difficult)".

Klemens (+ -)

--

DFG-Projekt "Freiburger Anthologie - Lyrik und Lied"
http://www.lyrik-und-lied.de

                                "Freiburger Anthologie"
                    http://www.freiburger-anthologie.de

"Projekt Klassikerwortschatz"