--- On Fri, 10/31/08, MacLeod Dave <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > Is it worth to spend the time of learning a new
> language
> > (maybe 6% of our life ) while we only use it in 5% of
> our life?
> > Cheng-Zhong Su
>
> Yes.

Part of the problem is that not all percentages are equal. If people spend about a third of their lives sleeping, that 33.33..% is important to their well-being, but it's presumably not as important in other ways. Does it compare to the time spent in relationships or composing literature or music? So the hypothetical 5% of our life spent using an auxlang could be a very important 5%.

Steve