> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MacLeod Dave

> > I'm not opposed to noun-adjective ordering as such, but
> when it occurs in a language that draws its vocabulary
> heavily from Romance or at least Latino-Romance, it's a bad
> sign. If you're going to use Romance vocabulary, use
> non-Romance grammar. Otherwise you'll experience a drift
> toward Romance. That's true for any source languages: your
> vocabulary and grammar shouldn't come from the same place,
> unless you goal is a pan-X language. On the other hand, I've
> recently had yet another of my Amazingly Clever Ideas that
> could put this rule to the test; we'll see what happens.
>
> I've always thought adjectives should be either before or after
the
> noun according to the user's preference, and there should be no
> difference whatsoever in the meaning when doing so. Even English
> allows adjectives in both positions sometimes.

A free order only really works when there's some marker to pair up
the qualfier with the noun as when there's some type of grammatical
agreement.  Then there are the Romance languages that have words
that change meanings according to their position.

English really only uses noun-adjective ordering in a poetic
context, otherwise the order is strictly A-N.