> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MacLeod Dave

> > If another auxlang becomes that popular then the U.S. would need
> > rethink its language policy to align itself with the rest of the
> > globe.  That isn't a reality, nor is even likely.  What we do
have
> > are floods of immigrants coming here expecting us to bend over
> > backwards for them when they are the ones that should be working
> > assimilate.
>
> It happens in other countries quite a bit. Tatars in Russia for
> example haven't been able to write their own language in Latin
letters
> due to laws that require it to be written in Cyrillic.
>
> http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/2007-60.cfm
>
> Silly court battles like this are an expensive waste of time. The
case
> could be made for making English an official language, but it
would be
> a big kerfuffle like the "learn English or get out" rule the LPGA
> tried to impose but gave up on after a storm of negative
publicity.
> Better would be for people to recognize that in most cases
immigrants
> *want* to speak English well and don't want to be pandered to.

You're right that is a silly law and a silly waste of legal
resources to tell individuals how they can and can not write their
language.

The LPGA is a private concern not a government entity, and as such
needs to make their own policies to serve their own purposes.  The
idea of establishing English is for official government use, which
would include the public school system and other institutions
supported by tax money.  What private individuals or non-government
organizations do is their own affair.