steve rice wrote:
> --- On Sat, 10/11/08, Kjell Rehnstr´┐Żm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>> Nu to es un typik karakteristikum de esperanto ke -uj-
>> signifika kval
>> possibil (kvelkunk) sort de kontinere. On poss defender
>> esperanto ke to
>> es un bon general expressionn. Postey on posse spesifikar,
>> si to es
>> necessari.
>>

> Quite true. "Ujo" doesn't mean "can" or "tree" or any such thing. It can be used for "container," but I would gloss it as "a place where something is normally found or put," as apples are normally found on an apple tree, swords are normally put in scabbards (or the occasional body), etc. But most Eists these days use -arbo (ekz. pomarbo) for the tree and often -io for countries.
>
> Steve

..and don't forget, though its use is fairly limited, -ingo. Thus
"scabbard" is "glavingo". A "glavujo" would probably be some kind of
case or crate for carrying multiple swords around in. Also rarely used
these days is the "cigaredingo", a cigarette holder. Ivo Lapenna used
one. The basic meaning of -ingo is a cover or container that fits snugly
over a single object and holds it in place. This has ribald
possibilities which I'll leave to your imagination.

Geoffreey King