Sellamat prients!

I see that sambahsa can raise an interesting debate. Indeed, all of those
questions are not peculiar to sambahsa and concern othr auxlangs (though
sambahsa may be the one that most adresses those issues).
The question is often posed about a "minimal" auxlang (for instance: tiny
wordlist, basic structure of sentences...)
Nothing would prevent me from deciding to limit sambahsa's vocabulary to a
few hundred words. But the only truth is that every language, whether natural
or artificial, tends to create new words (the more spoken it is,  the more
words it'll be likely to create). For every language, the restriction of words is
an illusion, or it is a purely artificial language. Every derivation or compounding
may be put aside in favor of neologisms. Ex: Esperanto dropped "vagonaro"
for "trajno" (train).
The richness of sambahsa's vocabulary is due to the fact that it incorporates
words shared by languages from different linguistic families. A single word can
be used outside Europe while we Europeans use a compound.
One thing I like about English is the structure of its vocabulary which
incorporates very naturally Germanic and Romance words. So I do the same
with Sambahsa but with a broader scope, ranging from Indo-European, modern
European to Eastern languages.
The same goes with expressivity. Indeed, every language will tend to
develop "figures de style", and it is not obligatorily linked with Sambahsa's
grammar (though its natural background helps it a lot); for example, LdP uses
some particles which can do such job (yok, den...). Anyway, it is something
we can't avoid (unless we want our conlang to remain a mere experiment of
laboratory)...
What conlangs have to replace are not pidgins, but the languages most used
for international communication between people who don't share the same
language (today, it is mostly English). I might certainly want to write in French
on this list, Risto to write in Finnish, etc... A conlang would be a better
alternative than a single natlang.

Sambahsa has a bunch of simple rules; when they're put together, it really
give the impression of a true natlang with all its complexities. I suppose that
sambahsa is more complicated than most well-known auxlangs, but it is surely
simpler than most natlangs, and sambahsa is (nearly?) able to compete with
them with less effort.

To explain a few interrogations:
"aghyern" (meaning "morning") is regular; Sambahsa's pronounciation works on
combination of letters (and not on single letters). The "h" after the "g"
indicates that the "g" is to be hard (like always in German); it is the Italian
system, which exists in Occidental too... "gy" would on the contrary have
been a "dzh" sound (ex: "magyar" = [madzhAr] "Hungarian")
 "y" here works as a consonant, as it is followed by "e". It indicates that the
stress will fall on the "a", and not the "e" as it would have been the case with
two vowels "ie".
So "aghyern" = [Agyrn]
*agyern = [Adzhrn]
*aghiern" = [agyErn]
*agiern = [adzhyErn]...
(The last inconsistency Sambahsa had was suppressed thanks to a remark by
Jens; it was "gue" which could be either read [g()] or [g:]. Now, it is only
[g], since "ue" alone is [:]). (long vowels is sambahsa are not obligatorily
pronounced, they are mostly there to ascertain the position of the stress).

"iris" is pronounced [Iris]. *irisa would imply a shift of the stress on the
second "i". That's would "iris" remains "iris" at the plural.

I am working to compile a list of sinitic words in sambahsa; it nears 300 words.
I suppose that positive characteristics of sambahsa are the coherence of its
IE based grammar which brings precision and shortness, and its selected
international vocabulary.

Olivier
http://sambahsa-mundialect-org.blogspot.com