On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Cheng-Zhong Su skrev:

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Coughts were put in where s were supposed to be in very normal utterances,
so there were normal words with normal vowels, just without proper s-sounds.

Kjell R

Cough sounds strange, it seems like VC that is әh, similar that aha and at.

Cheng-Zhong Su

The interesting thing here is that there were many in the test group thad did not think about the couchs. If, because they did not hear them accoustically or that they as it were heard them but that their brains substituded the coughs with the s that there should be.

Our languages have a lot of redundancy in them and therefore we don't get stuck on details that are unimportant to us in a given situation.

An example. If I pronounce one particular English word it is very possible that a native English speaker woun't hear it properly because the listener is disturbed by my Swedish accent, but if I speak a whole sentence or am speaking at length the listener will be able to attone their brain to my speech. That's how it works for me whenn speaking Swedish to people who are not native speakers.

Kjell R
Do you mean the context helps people to adjust the wrong accent that you send to them?
Cheng-Zhong Su