Lars Finsen wrote:
> Den 14. nov. 2008 kl. 14.10 skrev Veoler:
>
>> I usually describe it as a "harsh voiceless l" (where the "harshness"
>> implies the difference between the approximant and the fricative).
>> Even more non-linguistic maybe that it is a "raw hissing sound" (well,
>> "hissing" to me implies high-pitch, is there some other word for
>> "low-pitch hissing"? That would be more accurate).
>
> I have a couple of tunes by Gwenan Gibbard, and I have thought that
> she's been overdoing both her /K/'s and /L/'s a little,

{puzzled} There is no /L/ in Welsh (maybe she was singing a different
language?)

But having just listened to a clip of her singing, her /K/ sounds to me
just what I would expect (I did live in Wales for 22 years) - it doesn't
sound at all overdone (but I wish I could trill my /r/ the way she does  :)

> but perhaps not
> after all, if what you say is right. She would be a native, I suppose.

Indeed she is - that's why her /K/ sounds very Welsh   :)

>> With the
>> synaesthesia turned on I would say that it taste as gooseberry and
>> feels like a refreshing breeze.
>
> Hmmm, to me it's got more like a milky taste, not sour at all. Not fatty
> either, so perhaps low-fat milk. It feels more like a gale the way Ms.
> Gibbard pronounces it.

Yep - I wouldn't think of it as refreshing breeze either.

> The voiceless l is found in the north of Norway as well, btw, but there
> it's rather more of an approximant than a fricative.

{scratches head} Isn't a voiced approximant lateral just plain ol' [l]?

--
Ray